Friday, August 20, 2010

Oh, Thomas!

Each summer, in the small town of Snoqualmie, a very popular train chugs through town. Last year, when Thomas came, I thought Avery would enjoy driving by the train station to see Thomas. Turns out - not such a great idea. Of course, she wanted to go for a ride. Unfortunately, you have to buy tickets months in advance. Well, she has continued to talk about riding all Thomas for the entire year. She would constantly ask, "Mom, is it almost summer yet? Because once summer comes again, then Thomas will come back for me to ride!" So, of course, I knew what was in store for this summer.

As these tickets are ridiculously expensive, we decided that Avery would have to work a little for this treat. I made her a chart that said, "Avery, come ride with me! ~Thomas" with 60 empty stars on it. Yep, 60 stars! She could only earn the stars by cleaning her toys up - 1 star/day max. About 2 months into it, I began to worry that she might not finish. But, she did it! She finished 4 days before her deadline, and she was very pleased with herself.




The big day had arrived!


Owen got to come along for the ride.



Here we go...








A view of Snoqualmie River from atop the high cliff.

1 comment:

Darci said...

I love the thrilled expression on Avery's face! I'm all about the earning concept too. The picture of Owen on the train is adorable.