Thursday, September 16, 2010

Summer Camping Trip

This summer we went on our annual camping trip with our great friends, the Kleins. Each year we have gone somewhere different. We've tried tents, cabins, and trailers. This year, as neither family had a baby (Owen turned 1 on our trip), we decided to try the tents again. Of course, both of our families had to bring larger tents than the last time we did it. The kids had so much fun!

We ventured up to Bellingham and stayed at Larrabee State Park. Jason and I love this area, and we had never camped overnight here. We knew that there was a train that ran through the park, but I didn't realize that it ran ALL NIGHT LONG, every 45 minutes. And, it seems that they are required to blow their whistle while chugging through the park. This is the Burlington Northern too - a big, loud freight train. Owen would actually cry during the day when he heard it coming, but miraculously he slept through the noise at night. We were staying right near the water though, so we had fun playing in the bay. It was gorgeous weather, as well. We couldn't have asked for a better weekend!

We had a great time cooking camp food, roasting marshmallows, going on hikes, and exploring Bellingham during the day. Poor Monique and Jeremy got a trip down (our) memory lane! We drove through campus, toured downtown, and stopped at Mallards for delicious ice cream. We ate lunch at Boulevard Park and flew kites at the Bellingham Marina. This area is absolutely beautiful.

I had some fun pictures of our campsite and our ice cream stop, but somehow one of our memory cards had formatting issues, so I think they are lost forever. Unfortunately, I also lost my favorite photo of Monique wearing a headlamp on her forehead, and the boys attempting to set up two large tents in a small area, in the dark! Ah well. I stole the first few pics off of Monique's blog (Thanks Monique) and luckily had more photos on our second camera!

Until next year... (when we may just try a cabin again)

The kids playing in the tent.

Avery and Samantha with their face paintings.


The adults hanging out by the water.


Having fun on the rocks.


Avery and her buddies.


They went exploring and found purple sea stars.


When we were at Boulevard Park, we came across a "festival" - not uncommon in Bellingham. The kids could make all these arts and crafts. Avery became an impromptu ladybug who walked in the Kids Parade.


She loved it!

Jason and Avery flying a kite at the marina.


Our buddy Parker - enjoying the sunset.


Bellingham Bay


6 comments:

Danae said...

That looks like a wonderful camping trip! (Minus the train, of course.) The weather looked great for camping. Makes me miss B'ham. :)

Monique said...

Love the pictures! Too bad mine are so fuzzy compared to yours. I just figured out why a few days ago. It has to do with me cropping them before I uploaded them to blogger. Now I know better! Anyways, we had a great time with you guys, as always! The tents weren't so bad afterall, now that I look back. The train on the other hand...Thanks for a fun weekend!

Coleman Family said...

The train thing made me laugh so hard! I needed the laugh too, so thanks for that! I've experienced those camping trips, believe me! Luckily Bellingham is beautiful and it looks like you had a great time! I haven't been up there since Dave and I got married!

Darci said...

I'm glad you tried that location out first and not me. The noisy teenager campers were our trouble, but the train seemed like a big risk. :) I think you and I need to enjoy Bellingham together from all the great things you're saying.

Woodrich Family said...

Not much prettier than a sunset into Bellingham Bay...I love that place.

Bridget said...

Awesome. So many memories there...glad you could share some with your kids.