Sunday, May 13, 2012

Cinco de Mayo Half Marathon

On Saturday, May 5th, I ran my second 1/2 marathon! I'm not quite sure why I did it... after my first one I had said that I was never doing it again.  But, it had been 2 years and I had been through another "no exercise" pregnancy, so I needed some kind of goal to get back into shape. If only I enjoyed running more... I had messed up my neck while snowboarding in February, so I didn't begin really training until late March.  My goal was to finish in 1 hr 49 mins - I just wanted to get under the 1:50 mark. There were at least a dozen people running that I knew and that made the experience a lot more fun.  The first 1/2 that I did was with 25,000 runners in downtown Seattle.  This one had less than 2,000 and it was held on rural, quiet streets. My old roommate Kimmi even came up from Portland to run the race also. I was a little nervous the morning of the race, but it was nice to have so many friendly faces around.  I ran with my friend, Amber, and she kept me on track. We talked for the first 7 miles, but had to pull out ipods for the second half in order to conserve my energy. The last mile was so hard.  The race ended on a school track and that 1 lap felt like it lasted forever. I felt so lightheaded.  I considered walking for a brief moment, until I saw the shot clock which said I had less than 1 minute to finish if I wanted my goal time. I finished in 1:49:44. Thank goodness!
 
Amber and I running on the course

Entering the school track for the final lap

Being greeted by Avery at the finish line

Owen, Jason, and Addie's little fist (there to support me).

Kimmi and I after the big run

We all finished!!  Celebrating with Marilee and Alea!

No comments: