Each time I unload the dishwasher, it is her job to put away the silverware (I remove the sharp knives first!). She knows how to push the chair to the sink, wash her hands!, push the chair over to the drawer, and put all of the right pieces where they belong. And the best part is, by the time she is done, I am usually finished with the rest of the dishes! :)
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Earning Her Keep
Recently, I had been looking for new ways to be more efficient with my day. Avery loves to "help" me with projects, but it always results in the task taking waaaayyyy longer than it should. And creating more of a mess than I began with (like having to wipe up the laundry detergent that she spilled while trying to pour it into the washing machine or sweeping up the same pile of crumbs for the 3rd time when they spilled out of her dustpan). While I didn't want to discourage her helpful attitude or diminish her learning opportunities, sometimes it was more help than I could handle. So, I was pleased when I found a chore that she could do independently. It helped check something off my to do list, she enjoyed the task, and it even develops her sorting/classifying cognitive skills at the same time.... putting away the silverware!! :)
Each time I unload the dishwasher, it is her job to put away the silverware (I remove the sharp knives first!). She knows how to push the chair to the sink, wash her hands!, push the chair over to the drawer, and put all of the right pieces where they belong. And the best part is, by the time she is done, I am usually finished with the rest of the dishes! :)

Each time I unload the dishwasher, it is her job to put away the silverware (I remove the sharp knives first!). She knows how to push the chair to the sink, wash her hands!, push the chair over to the drawer, and put all of the right pieces where they belong. And the best part is, by the time she is done, I am usually finished with the rest of the dishes! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Perfect! What a fabulous idea. My babe LOVES to help empty the dishwasher too. I'm sure you can imagine how helpful that is.
We used to have our boys do the silverware, too. Then Jovana came and does the dishes...but that'll only last a week more. I wonder if we'll lose the "help" that they once so freely gave. I hope not. But that's the result of refusing their precious time consuming help.
Avery that is a perfect sorting job! You are on your way to putting your own clothes away. Good thinking mom.
Good Job Avery!
Yeah, Avery! What a good little sorter she is.
Post a Comment