Sunday, June 7, 2009

Not What I Expected

I was so excited to hit 28 weeks this pregnancy - The Last Trimester!! The final stretch, right? No problem, I'll be done with this in no time. We'll be holding our new little guy before we know it! Little did I know....





This was the picture from two weeks ago (28 weeks). A few days after this was taken, we went in for a follow-up ultrasound just to check on the baby's growth. It wasn't really a big deal, so we took Avery with us, thinking that she would enjoy seeing pictures of the baby. Everything was going great for the first 30 minutes. The baby looked great (heart rate, blood flow, fluid level, etc) which we are still extremely grateful for. The radiologist was just finishing up the last few measurements when the mood changed. All of a sudden he became agitated and excused himself for a minute. Things happened in a blur, but all of a sudden they were telling us that I was in danger of having the baby any moment, and that if they had not caught this preterm labor condition I would have surely had this baby by the end of the week! With no kind of contractions or warning signs, we were shocked. The doctors all rushed around and called my OB to update her. They said that I had to climb in a wheelchair, go directly to the hospital, and that I was not going home anytime soon.

And that is where I find myself now, two weeks later, laying on a hospital bed wondering what to do with all my "spare time". While I can't even begin to describe my restlessness, more importantly, I can't begin to describe how blessed I feel that our little boy has not made his arrival yet! Every day makes a huge difference at this point. We are hoping to hold out at least another 4 weeks from now, at which point he will be big enough that most premature complications would be diminished. Continued monitoring shows that our little guy is active, healthy, and "happy" (they say that you tell it from the heart rate, I guess). I am sure 10 weeks from now, when I am home again and meeting the demands of a newborn baby and toddler, I will be wishing that I could have just another day of this hospital stay! While it drives me crazy to lay here all day and be away from Jason and Avery, I have also been blessed with tons of visitors who bring treats, books, flowers, games... the list goes on and on! Thank you for all of your help!!!

9 comments:

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

I am so, so glad that they found that. I personally dream of being alone in a hospital room for a while... (o: I hope you are able to keep your spirits up. Please call if you need anything; cookies, ice cream, someone to take your place for awhile... you name it!

Danae said...

Oh Wendy! I'm so sorry you are stuck at the hospital for the duration. I've been on bedrest twice, but both times were at home. I can only imagine how hard it must be to be away from your family. Good luck, and I hope your little guy waits a little while longer!

Alyssa said...

My goodness Wendy! I'm glad they caught it when they did! What a difficult thing to be stuck in a hospital bed for months! I've been trying to think of things you could do, I'm sure they've already been suggested, but here are my thoughts: 1. Do family history indexing
2. Catch up on a ton of journal writing
3. Do digital scrapbooking
Hope the little guy stays put for a good while longer!

Bridget said...

You and your family are in our prayers. I think we all wish pregnancies were 34 weeks long instead of 40 or 41...but really deep down we don't want it that way at all.

Emily K. said...

I have been updated by Monique, and I was wondering if you would update your blog. I'm so sorry about everything. At least the baby is handling it well. I am wishing that my cervix was like yours, and that he would come by the end of the week, but that's not happenining. Our babies will probably be a lot closer than we originally thought they would be. I tend to go late, and yours will come early! Our thoughts are with you, and hoping everything turns out okay. Show us a picture of your room. I've heard it's pretty homey!

Lynnae said...

It's nice to hear from you. I hope you are doing good. Avery was so cute in nursery yesterday, she ran in circles around me and had me 'trapped'. (It was at the end when just a few kids were there). She was cute and full of energy.
Lynnae

Darci said...

My dear Wendy! If only I could be there with you every day. You know we can chat for hours on end! You're a strong woman and your little guy is smart to enjoy this down time with you as long as possible. Things, as you know, will change once you all return home. Two kids . . . oh, the fun!

Stephanie said...

If I was anywhere near there, I would bring you a blizzard! Or a peanut buster parfait. Hopefully you can go home soon and do your bedrest there. Good luck!

Kim Allgood said...

Oh Wendy! I am so bored for you right now. When I had Peter last month, we were in the hospital three days and I thought I was going to pass out from boredom. SO, I can't imagine what weeks would be like. On the bright side, good that they caught it!! I wish I could be there to help in some way. Hang in there- you are in my prayers!