Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Beautifully Tasty!

Have you ever hesitated to cut a cake because it was too pretty? I am usually the first to dive in, but last week Avery and I created a cake that was almost more fun to decorate than eat.

I have been wanting to try and decorate a cake with marshmallow fondant for some time. Fondant frosting looks so nice, but I don't like the taste of regular fondant. Marshmallow fondant calls for marshmallows, powdered sugar, and Crisco... how can that possibly taste bad? It was pretty tasty. Next time, however, I will try to get the fondant thinner though. It was a little thick, which resulted in a sugar headache for most of us who happily consumed our dessert. Avery had a great time helping me to make the flowers and sticking them on. The multiple-step process took 3 days to complete the cake, so I don't plan to replicate another cake anytime soon. But, maybe for a special occasion, like a first birthday or something. :)






Avery loved playing with the leftover fondant. It really felt like play dough. As she hadn't finished her lunch earlier in the day, she wasn't allowed to eat any (No lunch? No snacks!). She followed the rule so well, I actually gave in and let her have a taste. She loves sugar.



6 comments:

Coleman Family said...

What a beautiful cake! good job Avery! ;) I've never worked with fondant, and I've never heard of marshmallow fondant! Yummm!

Sydnie said...

I have decorated a lot of cakes over the past 30 years and what usually ends up happing is they hand me the knife when it's time to slice it up. Ouch! It's hard to destroy something you created!
Your's is a masterpiece.

Cabbages said...

Beautiful job, Wensan!! It really looks gorgeous! I had to laugh when you said Avery loves sugar... Gee, I wonder where that gene came from! ;)

Are you ever going to call me back or what?!?!?

Alyssa said...

That's cool Wendy! I've just started experimenting with Fondant but haven't been brave enough to make it myself. What recipe did you use? Did you find it difficult?

Darci said...

Beautiful work ladies! My birthday is coming up you know. :) That sounds like quite the process.

The Siple Family said...

What a great looking cake!