Friday, July 2, 2010

A Little Summer Fun

Last week Jason headed out of town for another business trip. Rather than staying at home by ourselves, I decided to head down to my sister's house with the kids to hang out for a few days. It was the beginning of their summer break, so we found some fun ways to kick off the season.

Our first stop was Wild Waves and Enchanted Village. I hadn't been there in years, and it was certainly a different experience to go with kids! Avery loved the rides! Oh, you should have seen the look of sheer disappointment on her face when she would stand against their measuring stick... and not measure tall enough. Luckily, there were a number of rides that she could go on.

Avery is the one on the right - with her hands in the air!
Oooh, she's makes her Mom so proud!


This was the water coaster that I agreed to go on with Tate.
My sister assured me, "Oh, you don't get that wet..."

"Like this wet??"
This was poor Owen's look for most of the day!
We had fun riding the carousel, going on spinning rides, and then playing in the water park. It actually became rather sunny out. Avery did have a slight mishap on one of the water slides. She was not big enough to go down even the slides in the kiddie area, so I wasn't too worried as she ran around. However, when she wandered up to the top of the large, twisty, purple slide with her 7 year old cousin, the kind employee measured her with the stick (which showed she was about 8 inches too short), and then decided to let her go down anyway. He told the 7 year old to "just catch her at the bottom." Tate informed us after the fact, "Well, I tried to catch her, but when I came out of the water I couldn't find her. And then the lifeguard got to her first..." I don't think we will be getting a season's pass there until next year!


Our other big adventure was the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium. The kids had an awesome time, and they got so excited about each of the animals. The aquarium portion even has an area that you can touch sea stars and other animals. It was the perfect activity for the day - an opportunity to get outside and walk around for a few hours, yet small enough to see all the animals and still have time to play in the KidZone area.

The Elephants

Touching the rubbery underside of a starfish.
Avery and Delaynie happy in the shark's mouth.


Watching the walrus who weighs 3300 pounds!


How tall are you compared to a Polar Bear?
Hmmm... good thing Avery doesn't live in the Arctic.


Avery as a happy, little snail.


In the KidZone, they have this crazy seat that you can spin and spin and spin in.
Avery took a couple turns and giggled the entire time.


Owen, possibly a little unhappy that he spent the entire day riding around in a pink stroller.

4 comments:

Jared and Paige said...

What a fun mini-trip you guys took. It has been too long since I checked your blog. I LOVED reading more about your trip to Maui and seeing all of your fabulous pictures. Happy belated freedom day, by the way. I am so glad that you are free and that Owen was born on time and healthy.

manders said...

I still can't believe that worker let her go down by herself crazy... I am so glad she was ok, and good thing for those swimming lessons right. I can't wait to take the kids to that zoo and now that we have a pass we need to go for sure anytime...

Darci said...

I love this post and how your personality comes through so well. You really should have known that Laura would pull your chain about that water slide. Luck for you the sun came out. Yeah, I would agree that Owen was not pleased with being humiliated all day in the pink stroller. How could you? :)

Coleman Family said...

That last picture is a crack-up! I love the look on Owen's face! Sounds like a great little trip! I haven't been to Wild Waves in forever!