Tuesday, December 16, 2008
The Meaning of Christmas
While I love the idea of Santa, presents, and cookies as much as the next guy/girl (I always have my wish list done at least a month ahead of time), we have been trying to consciously focus on the true meaning of Christmas these past few years. I have been amazed at how quickly Avery learned of Santa... she can even tell you that Santa will come to her house and leave presents, and then it is Christmas, and then she opens them. While the tradition of St Nicholas is great in itself (giving to others), I was stumped on how to really help her understand that Christmas is about the baby Jesus. Until we found this nativity set at the local book store. It has been the best purchase of the season! She plays with the little stable and the people for hours. She can tell you who the people are and that they are all there to see the baby. It was only a few dollars, so it doesn't matter if pieces get dropped. It is so easy to get caught up in the shopping, treats, and gifts, but it is even more rewarding when we stop to remember why we are celebrating!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
How precious! She is a smart cookie and I love that she is entertained for so long by your special purchase. Oh, and how funny that she wouldn't look at Santa but she would get her wish list in. Hilarious.
Hey, you should look into the Little People Nativity. I haven't been able to find it in the stores because everyone is already out, but Toys R Us had it on line. I love Little People!
Your set is great...so tiny and perfect. We have the Little People one. I got it at fisherprice.com. But the one you have looks great...so unless Avery breaks or loses the pieces, you'll be good with the one you've got.
Post a Comment