Instead, I wanted to record what happened on the way to the fair...
Instead of paying the exorbitantly high price for dinner inside the fairgrounds, we decided to stop at the fast food joints right outside. As I am a picky eater, I opted out of the Jack-in-the-Box meal that Jason and Avery were getting, and I headed to Taco Bell (I never claimed to having refined tastes). After ordering my food, I was waiting in a ridiculously long line (more of a mosh pit) to receive my fine cuisine of nachos - just the chips and gooey cheese. Well, I was carrying Owen in my baby wrap and I had noticed that I was receiving quite a few stares. I tried to ignore it - you get used to being stared at when you are pregnant as well. So, as I stood there patiently waiting for my nachos and sipping on my Mug Root beer, I noticed one woman in particular staring at me. I tried to turn the other way to avoid her gaze, but to no avail. She finally stood up and walked over to me...
Stranger: "What have you got in there? Is that a baby??"
I tried to be semi-polite. I smiled and turned a little so she could see Owen's face.
Me: "Uh-huh."
The woman looks at me rather accusingly and incredulously asks: "HOW OLD ARE YOU?"
I was dumbfounded for an instant. She sounded so miffed at me.
After I recovered from my surprise, I responded rather smugly: "30."
And then she had the audacity to tell me: "No you're not!"
I thought about showing her my license in my hand, but smartly decided that I didn't want her to have any idea where I lived.
All I could think of was "Who says things like that?"
Well, before my nachos came I had another man ask me, "Is that your baby in there?"
As if I would be carrying someone else's baby wrapped up. I simply smiled and said yes.
Of course the conversation didn't end there...
Man: "Is he your first?"
I looked at him and said "No, my 3 year old is over at Jack-in-the-Box."
Luckily, my number was called. I gratefully grabbed my nachos and exited the building.
I mean, really, maybe I don't look 30, but how old did they think I was??
11 comments:
That's so funny! That's what you get for being such a little cutie. It is strange that the people were so weird about it.
Funny, but annoying, right?! I've had those stares before. And, I've had those "HOW old are you?" questions as well. At least you're young looking and not old looking! We'll be thankful for that someday...
That's crazy! I always get the opposite reaction, but I've started to loose my surprised looks when I tell people how young I am. But if I mention how long I've been married the surprised look returns :)
So, I was waiting for you to comment that your shirt was up from nursing or your baby was hanging out like a doll. Really? Those looks because you look young? Which I never noticed before, but I, too, get those comments. If I only have one child with me they think that it's my first baby.
I also get a lot: "they're not all yours, are they?"
True to my shock and awe personality, I usually say, "no she's my 5th" or "yes, they're mine and some of them aren't even here."
Of course, the strangest for these passersby is when I have 4 kids in my Costco cart and they comment on the number of children I have. Without fail one of the boys will pipe up that Evan died. Yeah, that usually gets some pretty good comments. :p. And honestly, it's happened several times. Ha ha ha.
I'm just happy I look early 20s now. I used to look 16 with a couple of kids. Once though I was with Jovana (blond) and someone asked her a question about my children who are blond. She was confused as she had NEVER gotten any children comments before. Ha ha ha. That was funny.
Okay, that is HILARIOUS and rude and crazy all at the same time! People need to just keep quiet sometimes. At least you didn't get insulted like me when a restaurant owner thought Elan and I were MOTHER and SON!!!!!!!!! Not joking!
Okay, that was me in the last comment.
Oh you're just so youthful! But really, who says that? There are definitely some weirdos out there!!!
Oh my! That lady's got guts. I have to say you totally look 30! Okay, not really, just trying to make you feel better. I agree with Bridget, just wait til you get the "Are they all your's?" comment. Gotta love it!!
This is hillarious! I am laughing out loud. You don't look young to me!
Creepy and rude!! Own is wrapped in a very lovely wrap, though :)
Maybe it was the braids? You where in a small town? They are probably used to seeing young girls with babes. Yes you look young but not 12.
Post a Comment